Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Problems with user made grammar lessons

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

Page: 1 of 2

htatsuha
Level: 1147

I tried to do some quizzes for the user made grammar lessons, and they aren't working correctly. When I tried to do a quiz for the first lesson listed in the まとめ N1 category, I got redirected to the dashboard after clicking start in the options pop-up. Also, I was able to do a quiz for the first lesson of the マスター N1 category, but I only got questions for にあって, when there are multiple grammar terms in that lesson that also should have been quizzed.
4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 260

Ok, so here's the rub. There is a significant number of N1 expressions (and other levels, but N1 is the biggest offender) that do not yet have questions available to them. You can tell something can be studied if there is a "mastery %" box over to the right.

Filling out those missing ones is a huge priority for us in the last few months of this year. We already have 550 expressions with quizzes available, but because our library (I believe it is over 850 at the moment) is so big, we still need to expand out the rest of them.

The first lesson of N1 has the unfortunate situation of having nothing that can be studied, which is why it kicks you out like that.

I will think about how to convey this information visually for affected lessons. It is a lot less of a problem in a schedule when the ones that cannot be studied are neatly marked in their own section.

I, though, want to get all the expressions into the lessons, though, regardless of whether or not they had quizzes available. That way, if they are added to a schedule now, they will become automatically available to study as soon as those questions are added.

Currently (although this is planned), there is not a feature to automatically pull in changes made in a user-lesson to a schedule, so if they were not added now, many users would never see those appear in their schedules later on.

It is a less than ideal situation, but I'm willing to deal with in for just a few months until everything is filled out. Already, I've added 100+ expressions to the "can be studied" pool relative to June of this year!

4 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha

A few more things I noticed, though not sure if all of these are related to the new lessons or are just grammar bugs in general.

1. If I go to the study center and click user made grammar lessons, I get lessons for Genki, Kanzen master, etc, textbooks. But if I make a grammar schedule and click user made grammar lessons when adding materials, the JLPT lessons that have been on the site for a while appear as well. I would expect to see the same results in both areas of the site.

2. I made a schedule for the user made grammar lessons and did a quiz where I studied two new terms and three terms I had studied before. After finishing the quiz, the schedule page still showed two terms to study for the day, which were the two new terms I had just did.

3. This:

8z77cs0owcymddfbf8ihime4q.png
4 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha

4. Number of unstudied terms on schedule summary page is incorrect. Before doing a schedule this morning, both of my grammar schedules showed 2 unstudied terms, when there are really more like 90. After doing them, one now shows no unstudied terms and the other shows the correct number.

5. The text in the panels on the new terms introduction page doesn't wrap correctly.
6bndx80crdfhwcss4pqbotieh.png

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I'll be taking a look at all of this on Monday! (Japan time)

For #5 - what browser is that?

4 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha
Firefox on Android.
4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Alright, here's what I've got so far.

1. I haven't yet decided how to best handle this. It depends on the number of user-lessons that get made, but my guess is that this will be small relative to the other three lesson types, so it might be best to remove the user-made lessons link, and have everything appear in the grammar tab. The reason it currently looks different is because the grammar tab doesn't exist in the adjust materials page, since it's somewhat redundant to have a grammar tab in a grammar schedule.

2. I believe I found what was causing this. I am not sure what caused the data to look this way, though. I rebuilt the data, and the schedules are rebuilding as we speak. I bet it looks good now, so let's see if a)it does, and b)it continues to do so.

3. Handled this already through the in-quiz report.

4. See #2

5. So, here's the issue: on the pc, you can see the scroll bar that will make the rest of it appear. However, scrollbars are typically hidden by mobile browsers, and on top of that, there is already swipe right/left functionality on that page.

I really want to have it wrap around and go down in cases like this, but it doesn't work when several usage patterns are grouped together, as they are in this case. I have not yet (and I've been thinking about it for awhile) figured out an ideal way to display this data on mobile.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I tried making some adjustments to #1 - see if it looks better to you.

4 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha

1. I agree it seems weird to have a grammar tab whrn adding terms to a grammar schedule, but it also seems weird to have to click on user made lessons to see lessons created by the site. Not sure the best solution.

2 & 4. Not fixed. When I went to study my textbook grammar schedule, it showed the button, indicating only new terms were available to study. I started a quiz, and it ended up being 2 new terms and 2 old terms, and after finishing the quiz it showed 1 term available to study. Before starting a grammar schedule, it still shows 2-3 new terms available to study on the schedule page, when there are actually a lot more, and after finishing a schedule it doesn't show any new terms as being in the schedule.

3. Haven't seen that again, but I assume it's fixed.
4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

1. I'll whip up something to handle this (soon).

2/4 - I was able to replicate the issue - it had to do with the back server that runs maintenance jobs such as refreshing the schedules automatically each day. Please give it a try now. I cannot confirm your specific issue, but my suspicion is that it is either fixed or greatly improved.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I did adjust the study center to act better, at least. All renshuu made materials appear under the Grammar area, and not under user-made grammar. Still not sure how to handle it in the schedule area.

4 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha

4 appears to be fixed. The correct number of unstudied terms displays both before and after doing a quiz.

2 is not fixed. After doing a quiz with two new terms introduced, the schedule summary page still shows two terms to study today.
4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

With #2, you said that the ones you studied remained unstudied, and they appeared in the not yet studied field. If you click in there, does the mastery level show evidence of them being studied, or do they really appear new?

Also, can you tell me what the last two were that had that problem?

4 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha

The ones I studied go from not yet studied to available for study for today, yes. The mastery level shows 4%, so it knows I've already done the term once, but they aren't being removed from the days terms. I kinda wonder if it might be related to the other bug I get sometimes, where if I get a question wrong in a quiz for one lesson or schedule, it shows up as available to study in any other schedules it's in, even though it doesn't need to be quizzed again yet.
4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Sorry, one more point of clarification: the number of new terms does not decrease, but if you look in the "not yet studied" list, it does not appear in there, correct? So, to clarify:

(when the problem occurs)

1. "not yet studied" number does not decrease

2. number of terms in level 1 does not increase

3. the studied once terms appear in the ___ list on schedule summary page.

Regarding that second one, I'm not sure that sounds like a bug unless I'm missing something. Terms do not show up as ready to study for a specific schedule, they are ready to study or not ready globally, and the schedules are just a collection of the terms themselves. So, if you have A in 2 schedules, and you miss it in schedule 1, it will become available to study in schedule 2 (assuming it has the same study vector) - although it would equally become "no longer need to study" in both schedules if you get it right during the review.

4 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha

1. Not yet studied number does decrease.

2. Number of level 1 terms does increase.

The problem is 3. Terms to study today = 2 after completing a quiz with 2 new terms in it. It should be 0. If I then study those two terms without allowing any more new terms to be introduced, it finally becomes 0.

The other bug is that sometimes terms do not become no longer need to study despite getting the question right on review during the end of quiz. An example would be doing a grammar lesson in the study center containing term A, getting it wrong on the first try, getting it right during the review, then after that my grammar schedule has term A available to study.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I'm glad I pushed for more details - I was completely off on where I thought the issue was. Thanks for the info.

So, you are looking at your schedule, and it says "2 terms to study". On the right side (the individual levels), it shows a bar with 2 red terms.

(This is where I'd like confirmation)

You study a quiz with has 4?? terms in it - the two that needed to be studied, and two new ones. After studying all 4, returning to the summary, it still says 2 to study?

Regarding the second issue - thanks for the clarification. That definitely sounds like a bug, and I will try to replicate it.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

!!! I replicated issue #1 (I think). Hold off on the extra info until I can check on this.

4 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I think *fingers crossed* I got it resolved. If I am correct, here is what was happening:

Grammar mastery does not worth the same as mastery for vocab and kanji. Since it only has one vector, leveling it up normally would be too fast/infrequent, despite the fact that grammar is undoubtedly more complex than a word or kanji. So, it works on sublevels..the % goes up about 1/3 what it would do for vocabulary, and it does appear more frequently.

What appeared to be happening is that very first correct answer was doing everything correctly, except when determining the next time to study it. Instead of having it appear tomorrow (+1 day), the system was telling it to study again today.

I set it to a minimum extension of 1 day, so let's see if this helps. I would not be surprised if it knocked out both problems.

4 years ago
Report Content
htatsuha

Seems to be fixed :)
4 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 1 of 2

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana