Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - No sound

Top > renshuu.org > iOS renshuu

espiacent
Level: 760

I kind get the sound to work for vocabulary in the app. I have an Iphone 7 with the newest iOS.

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

Really?? Interesting. I can't confirm it on my ipad, so let's try and narrow down what's going on:

1. What areas of the site can you confirm that it does or doesn't work?

a - dictionary

b - term list

c - audio quizzing

2. Even if it is happening to all of them, can you provide a few examples of specific ones that you have found not to work?

Thanks!

3 years ago
Report Content
espiacent

Well, strangely enough it happens with all sounds in all areas. I just tried it with the browsers on my phone (safari and brave). With them the same thing happens. Afterwards without chanhing anything I went to soundcloud and some news site to see if I get sound, and yes, I did. So I wonder how this can be? It might be from my site I guess but I can't really explain it tbh.

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Were you able to listen to sound previously using Safari, or has this always been an issue on iOS for you?

3 years ago
Report Content
espiacent

Usually I don't use the sound on mobile when I am commuting but I remember there being sound maybe half a year ago or so. So before the last iOs update (but probably not connected I guess). Oh, and I was connected to my wifi so the connection was very good.

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Hmm, thanks. I think it'll be easier to target the issue in Safari on the browser since that is a bit easier to debug, and then if I can fix that, then I bet it'll work for the app as well.

Until I can replicate it, though, it's going to be tricky.

I am seeing that the area for touch is not as big as it could be - let me ask you: when you are pressing the icon say, in the dictionary for a word, do you see a line appear below the audio icon? If not, press a few more times and see if it does come up, and if it does, did the audio play then?

3 years ago
Report Content
AaronHardin
Level: 1331

I'm seeing some sound issues when my phone locks in the middle of a quiz. I saw the same thing previously in Chrome on my phone but I could just refresh the tab and it picked up where I left off. It seems that with the app I'm having to force close the app and reopen it. Or just not let the phone lock 😀

Really loving the app though!

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Glad the app is generally working for you. Alright, let me test out the locking issue - that sounds like it'll be easier to debug, and will probably benefit app and non-app users.

3 years ago
Report Content
espiacent

I am seeing that the area for touch is not as big as it could be - let me ask you: when you are pressing the icon say, in the dictionary for a word, do you see a line appear below the audio icon? If not, press a few more times and see if it does come up, and if it does, did the audio play then?

Yes, I see a line usually with the first click. But that is all, there is no sound. Neither when I wait nor if I click again. :<

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

espiacent - I'll keep at it. The other bug mentioned here is one that I *can* replicate, so I'm going to try and knock it out first. Who knows, maybe they are tied together.

The Android app has been a serious boon to the number of users to the site, so I really want the iOS one to be perfect as well. I have no doubt I'll get to the bottom of this!

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I think I made some progress on one, possibly both issues.

There is test code that ONLY gets activated if you are on the quizzing page. So this is what I was doing to replicate Aaron's issue:

1. Load up quiz page

2. Wait til something with sound appears.

3. Play it

4. Lock device, wait 5 seconds

5. Open, go back to app (should still be in memory)

6. Play same sound.

The fix I put in place, for me at least, fixes #6.

Please give it a try - both of you, if possible. @espiacent and @AaronHardin

3 years ago
Report Content
espiacent

Uhm, I just started a quiz with my phone and I had sound immediately this time (automatically played on the first item with sound). I also did the other steps and I still had sound when I clicked on the sound icon.

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

That's great news! Let's wait for the other user, and if it works for them, I'll move the fix out of that one spot to where it's site-wide.

3 years ago
Report Content
AaronHardin
Level: 1331

Yeah this fixed the issue I was having as well. :D

I just did a small test for now but I'll definitely let you know if I see the issue again.

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Woohoo! Ok, I'll roll it out site/app-wide. (soon - working on another fix as well).

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

It's up, so if you can, close it once (just to make sure it's got the new stuff), then play around with it when you can. You could try, for example, playing a sound in the dictionary (outside of quiz mode), lock, then try again.

3 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > iOS renshuu

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana