Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - March 2021 changes to Shiritori!

Top > renshuu.org > Announcements > Archived Announcements

マイコー
Level: 260

Major changes are coming to Shiritori (the multiplayer game, not Shiritori Cat) is going to have some major changes in March 2021! Here's what's coming up:

Limited games

There will be a hard limit of 10 kana and 10 kanji shiritori games at any given time. All previous games will be archived. Because most themed games are REALLY hard to stick to the themes, the majority of the games will not be themed. There will still be one themed game in each category that rotates monthly.

* Kanji will still have a few "structured" themes: 2/3/4 character words only

* Unfortunately, it is very difficult logistically to create games based on JLPT levels (especially N5/N4)

Auto resets

Each round of shiritori will automatically reset and begin anew after a certain threshold is met. There will be two types:

Time based: there will be only 1 of these. Like the ones that appear now, these will be reset monthly

Word count based: Once a round reaches a certain number of words, it will automatically reset. It will most likely be around 1000-1500 words for vocabulary, 400 words for kanji. However, there will be a few "long" games that will not reset until a few thousand words.

** There will be a failsafe option built in. If the speed of a game (# of words per day) drops below a certain level for an extended period, it will automatically reset.

Beginner only rounds

There will be 2-3 (I'm still thinking about the number) rounds in each category (kana and kanji) that will be restricted to "beginners"

I am still thinking about how to determine this, but I'm currently going with:

"A person is a beginner from when they play their first word in a shiritori game until 30 days have passed."

As always, nothing here is finalized until it is released, so comments are welcome.

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 260

The change will take place on Thursday March 11th, around 10AM CST. Here is the topic structure:

-->Beginner only<--
1. Free Theme
2. Free Theme
3. Free Theme
-->Regular<--
4. Free Theme
5. Free Theme
6. Free Theme
7. Katakana only
8. Free Theme - Long Term
9. Rotating Theme
10. Rotating Theme

Kanji
-->Beginner only<--
1. Free Theme
2. Free Theme
-->Regular<--
3. Free Theme
4. Free Theme
5. Free Theme
6. Free Theme - Long Term
7. 2-character only
8. 3-character only
9. 4-character only
10. Rotating Theme

Long term games are ones that will not recycle as quickly (cap of 3000 words).

I'm not sure if I will get it in by Thursday, but the page will automatically update the word list and input field if it changes while you're waiting.

3 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Announcements > Archived Announcements

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana