Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Where is っ on the keyboard?

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

gumiぐみ
Level: 5
idb7vmy0mung4k4mx06xv3bm0.jpg

I'm having a really hard time typing in Japanese, because every time I need to type a word with this particle [っ] I just can't find it anywhere on the keyboard

I have searched it and copied so when I'm writing a word that needs it I past, but thats not the proper way ;((

I just can't write がっこう or なっとう properly without pasting the っ

I'm putting here a pic of my keyboard, but I've looked every single button

I hope y'all don't think I'm dumb with this kind of struggle, y'all can laugh but please help me after 🙏🏻 istg I'm losing it trying to find that っ

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

I have someone I think that knows this - will send them to the thread.

3 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Level: 892

@マイコー I'm surprised that you don't know this yourself.

@gumi You type a regular つ and then hit that button (left of わ) and you magically get っ. Another option is to tap た 6 times, cause after と comes っ.

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

I have always used the qwerty keyboard - too old to handle the 9key style ones :)

3 years ago
Report Content
カメリア(椿)
Level: 938

For the "Qwerty Keyboard":

You can press the specific character's consistent (everything NOT a vowel) twice.

Ex: っと (I pressed T two times)

Alternativly: you could put an L (lowercase) before the actual character itself.

Ex: っ (I typed ltsu, l being small font, tsu being character)

Hope this helps!

3 years ago
Report Content
Anonymous123
Level: 1199

Interesting. I've never seen this interface before.

Is it for cellphones or something ?

How easy it to use as compared to the standard Qwerty interface ?

3 years ago
Report Content
gillianfaith
Level: 879

That keyboard is for mobile devices and is usually called "12-key", "kana flick" or "keitai". It's similar to T9; originally on cellphones each button would have to be pressed a certain number of times to get the different vowels (e.g. pressing あ multiple times will cycle through いうえお), but on touch screens this style of keyboard usually uses flick input (e.g. pressing あ will enter あ, and swiping left, up, right, or down respectively will give you いうえお).

It takes a little adjusting if you aren't used to T9, but input is way faster than using QWERTY and it doesn't require memorizing any weird shortcuts for certain kana combinations. For Japanese learners, it also encourages you to stop thinking in romaji and it makes the gojuuon order (alphabetical order for kana) second-nature.

If you have a Windows computer, the onscreen keyboard has a kana flick option. Most Japanese keyboards for smartphones will have this layout in their options, and there's also a very cute app called "FlicKuma" starring Kumamon that trains you to type with it.

3 years ago
Report Content
Anonymous123
Level: 1199

@gillianfaith Thank you for providing such a great response to my question. Very informative.

3 years ago
Report Content
ミレイ
Level: 12
idb7vmy0mung4k4mx06xv3bm0.jpg

I'm having a really hard time typing in Japanese, because every time I need to type a word with this particle [っ] I just can't find it anywhere on the keyboard

I have searched it and copied so when I'm writing a word that needs it I past, but thats not the proper way ;((

I just can't write がっこう or なっとう properly without pasting the っ

I'm putting here a pic of my keyboard, but I've looked every single button

I hope y'all don't think I'm dumb with this kind of struggle, y'all can laugh but please help me after 🙏🏻 istg I'm losing it trying to find that っ

i think that you have to write the つ and in the suggestions it will appear the little tsu. for this type of jpn keyboard at least you have to literally write furigana by furigana. hope it helps!

3 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana