Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Help learning the Japanese Mobile Keyboard, please.

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Hello Renshuu community, first post on the forums here and a very new learner, but I have a question Google couldn't solve so I thought I'd ask you all. I'm learning how to use the Japanese swipe keyboard on my mobile and I have the basics down (swipe for the letters based on series, the dakuten and so on) but there's a couple of things I haven't been able to figure out and could use some help on.

Question 1 is is there a way to apply the subscript for つ, や, ゆ, よ to make things like ちゅ and かっぱ manually or do I have to completely rely on the autocorrect for these kinds of things?

And my second question is how does one type in Katakana? Is that another thing I'll have to rely on the autocorrect for?

Thanks so much to reading and any help, and I'm looking forward to learning with you all more once I'm less of a noob. 😅

3 years ago
Report Content
SirEdgar
Level: 1241

To write small variants of various hiragana you first write that hiragana and then tap on the button directly left to the わ (which consists of the Kanji for small, and symbols for maru and dakuten). It depends on your keyboard how the button specifically will look like, but below a collection of screenshots I found showing it - the first one with the symbols I mentioned while the second one has the dakuten and maru first and in smaller font <> ("Large <> Small") below it:

zzeybmaq465gdp4zpxntw7iun.pngs22cdxcahkxrbfaeqoa8p5oqk.png

When it comes to writing katakana I am not aware of any method beyond typing what you want to have in hiragana and then pick the katakana-converted version shown in the list of suggestions above the keyboard [there is always a hiragana->katakana converted version available, no matter if what you wrote is an actual Japanese katakana word or something you just made up on the spot].

3 years ago
Report Content

Oh my goodness, thank you so much, SirEdgar. ^w^

I have yet to dip my toes into Kanji, I wanted to replay get the Kana symbols down before I opened that can of worms, so I had no idea that's what that symbol was for. That makes a lot more sense now.

Thats great to know about the Katakana conversion as well. Thank you so much. I don't know why I never really noticed that there was always a Katakana version of what I was typing on the autocomplete bar. I feel a little big oblivious for missing that.

You've helped me out a ton. Thank you so much again. I really appreciate it. 😊

3 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana