Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - I can't seem to get the addict Hanko for some reason

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

arrietty87
Level: 947

I have been studying lots of lessons and did lots of quizes to get more Hankos, sometimes my efforts count and sometimes they don't. Recently yet again I worked hard on vocab and kanji but my "days studying" has gone back down to zero 4 days before I was due to get another hanko. Yet on my grammar I made progress. I don't get it. I am not doing anything different as far as I am aware. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong would be really appreciated.

33wnxk6fdrq88n7ahiu6n8jaa.jpg
3 years ago
Report Content
Anonymous123
Level: 1197

For me what happens is the number of grammar questions I have to review falls under the minimum required to maintain the streak. This almost never happens for vocab, because there are so many terms, but for grammar and kanji the number of items is smaller so it quite possible.

For example, for grammar addict the condition is "Gained for studying grammar every day (at least 20 correct answers)." So, if I only have 18 terms to study that day, I could study all those terms, and it would still break the streak. One could probably avoid this if they did extra review questions (I'm not really concerned about the streaks, so I haven't tried this).

This is only one possibility. Of course, it could be something else entirely.

Another possibility is your: "Schedule refresh at" setting in your schedule is out of synch with when you are studying. It is found in the Advanced settings in the schedule settings of each schedule.

3 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

The schedule refreshes do not affect the streaks - those are just based on the 24 hour period from midnight to midnight based on your time zone (make sure your time zone is set correctly in settings).

Definitely check the time zone. I will also DM you with your raw data so you can see what the actual numbers are.

In general, though, the system does work - I have some users, I kid you not, who have those numbers over 2,000 days. There were some minor issues with the counting many years ago, but I haven't seen it yet.

3 years ago
Report Content

My question about the addict hankos is very simple so I thought I'd add it here instead of starting a new post: What happens to them if I miss a day of studying? The number of days will reset to zero, obviously, but what about the Levels? Do the Levels also reset to 0? This is actually one reason I quit Duolingo - I dislike the pressure of having to maintain a streak.

1 year ago
Report Content
Anonymous123

My question about the addict hankos is very simple so I thought I'd add it here instead of starting a new post: What happens to them if I miss a day of studying? The number of days will reset to zero, obviously, but what about the Levels? Do the Levels also reset to 0? This is actually one reason I quit Duolingo - I dislike the pressure of having to maintain a streak.

Missing a day of studying won't impact anything other than the current # of days studying in a row for the addict Hankos (which are nice trophies but don't actually impact anything). You will still keep your highest score that you have attained so far on that addict Hanko. More importantly, the Mastery levels for each of the individual terms you have studied will not be impacted at all.

The only other impact you might see is on the Daily study goal trophies (which appear at the bottom of the overview screen when you click on a schedule). If you have the study goal set to study as much as I can, then your goal will include all the items in your back log (making it tougher to achieve that daily study goal). Again, those trophies are nice, but don't actually impact anything. But if you need to, you can go into the advanced setting for a schedule and "Freeze" it, to give yourself some time off.

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

There is, on the stats page, a daily streak that some people like to use, but it's not required, and the hankos (which are getting phased out for a new achievement system that will be AWESOME) don't penalize you unless you're talking about the ones that say "in a row". There are very few of them, and the rest are cumulative. With renshuu, I feel it is much more important to support consistent studying, and being consistent doesn't mean "every day without a break", it means "generally the same amount each week with breaks taken as needed."

1 year ago
Report Content

Michael,

I can't seem to get the 'Grammar Addict' hanko for 14 days in a row - the counter always resets after a week or so. Is there a minimum of questions answered for it to count?

1 year ago
Report Content
Anonymous123

Michael,

I can't seem to get the 'Grammar Addict' hanko for 14 days in a row - the counter always resets after a week or so. Is there a minimum of questions answered for it to count?

I'm not Michael, but the Hanko says: "Gained for studying grammar every day (at least 20 correct answers)" i.e. so you need at least 20 correct answers for it to count

1 year ago
Report Content

"Gained for studying grammar every day (at least 20 correct answers)"

That explains it, thank you :)

1 year ago
Report Content

Missing a day of studying won't impact anything other than the current # of days studying in a row for the addict Hankos (which are nice trophies but don't actually impact anything). You will still keep your highest score that you have attained so far on that addict Hanko. More importantly, the Mastery levels for each of the individual terms you have studied will not be impacted at all.

The only other impact you might see is on the Daily study goal trophies (which appear at the bottom of the overview screen when you click on a schedule). If you have the study goal set to study as much as I can, then your goal will include all the items in your back log (making it tougher to achieve that daily study goal). Again, those trophies are nice, but don't actually impact anything. But if you need to, you can go into the advanced setting for a schedule and "Freeze" it, to give yourself some time off.

Oh, thanks for letting me know about the "Freeze" option. Sounds like a button I should remember to press late Fridays when I know I'm gonna sleep through the weekend :D

1 year ago
Report Content

There is, on the stats page, a daily streak that some people like to use, but it's not required, and the hankos (which are getting phased out for a new achievement system that will be AWESOME) don't penalize you unless you're talking about the ones that say "in a row". There are very few of them, and the rest are cumulative. With renshuu, I feel it is much more important to support consistent studying, and being consistent doesn't mean "every day without a break", it means "generally the same amount each week with breaks taken as needed."

I agree with you and other posters that it doesn't matter whether I break my streak or not. I am not going to stop studying just because I miss a day - I've been quite consistent for the past two years (Duolingo and now renshuu). I just dislike the idea of a broken streak (yes, OCD-like personality here). That said, I look forward to the new system!

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana