Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Private Sentences Question

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

Page: 1 of 2

Baffygote
Level: 360

Is there any way to get private sentences to show for word quizzes? I was hoping to port some of the JLPTsensei N3 grammar material to renshuu just to study the grammar terms themselves (to memorize their meaning, not to practice use). For now I just open another tab to look up each term's examples on my own but would prefer to have them listed underneath the term like with all the other example sentences for official renshuu lists.

2 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 260

They should be available as long as you bind them to the dictionary (where it splits up the sentence word-by-word).

If it's not showing up, please do this for me: the next time a word with a private sentence doesn't give you that sentence in the quiz, tap the ? button at the top and send in a quiz report. That should help me isolate the issue.

Thanks!

2 years ago
Report Content
Baffygote

I'll give that a try, thanks!

2 years ago
Report Content
Baffygote

Seems like it's still happening but I get duplicate sentence errors now (they exist but still don't display). Reported the terms in question.

2 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I have not been available the last few days, sorry! Can you please do the following for me:

1. Go to Learn > Lesson center, make a new (private) lesson, and add 2-3 terms that have private sentences in them, but the sentences are not appearing in quizzes. Please let me know once you've done that, so I can use the lesson for testing and fixing the issue. Thanks!

2 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I got a chance to look into this.

Here's what is happening: each of the terms you are working on were user-entered terms. In other words, they were added as private entries to the dictionary despite there being an official entry in the renshuu dictionary database.

As an example, let's use あまりにも. This is in renshuu's dictionary, and it has example sentences. However, the one you are studying (same with ばよかった, ほう~が) were ones made by users - this is why there is a little red U next to the term. These are *not* verified by renshuu.

So when you added a sentence to each of these, the word binding popup appears, and asks you to bind the words in the sentence to the dictionary. This binding system does not reference user made terms - some of them are duplicates, and others may contain data that is inaccurate and cannot be verified. So, it finds the official entry of あまりにも, and binds the sentence to that.

In other words, this issue only exists for user-made words - any private sentences attached to terms in the official dictionary work without a hitch.

I will think about if there is a way to make a special link between your private sentence and the word you are attaching it to, but it is not something I can do at the moment.

2 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Good news - I changed the code a bit, so you can now bind a sentence to a word, even if the sentence does not contain the word. This should be much closer (if not 100%) of expected behavior from your end.

2 years ago
Report Content
Baffygote

Great! I'll try it out. Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

2 years ago
Report Content
Baffygote

Looks like it's working!

7d3480335d56bc55d8b8fa9b906509f9d8f2d50526725d52.jpg

If there were a way to tokenize the custom terms, so that they are highlighted green like you do with the public quizzes, that would be great but for now this is exactly what I need.

2 years ago
Report Content
Baffygote

P.S. Is there a way to purge the existing sentences cache so I can re-add sentences to get them to show or do I need to delete and re-create the word bank in the lesson center?

2 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

1. It will not be possible to tokenize them in the way you're describing, since they are not "available" in the parsing system. This may be something I can fix in the future, but it's a much larger change that would require a lot more work.

2. I can wipe all your private sentences if you'd like.

2 years ago
Report Content
Baffygote

No worries on the tokenization then.

I don't have that many sentences entered compared to what I was planning to do so go ahead and purge the existing ones.

Thanks again!

2 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Sorry for the delay - I see that you've added a bunch more (you're at 80 at the moment). Do you still want me to wipe all of them, or just a subset?

2 years ago
Report Content
Baffygote

You can still purge them, It takes me barely any time to add them back.

By the way, is it possible to expand on the sentence banks from the question result page? I didn't see an option to do so.

2 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Done!

And if there are more sentences, there should be a "Show more sentences" link just below the 2-3 that show up.

2 years ago
Report Content
Baffygote

Thanks,

Will there still be a way for me to load additional sentences after I've put in some for a term? The option disappears after I return to the term a second time.

b189e98e54e730d25a8aaf5fd9a8f3c4bc0b041cb26ff3b6.jpg
2 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

Should be available now to the right of the title

2 years ago
Report Content
Baffygote

Found it!

Thanks again for all your help!

2 years ago
Report Content
Baffygote

Ah, seems like it's happening again and some of my example sentences have disappeared. Strangely when I try to re-add the sentences it shows duplicates.

e.x. for べきだ: おもちゃは、であるべきです。= Safety comes first for toys

shows up as a duplicate even though it's not visible in the list in the lesson center

2 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

I'm looking into it now, just wanted to let you know.

2 years ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Page: 1 of 2

Top > renshuu.org > Questions about renshuu

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana