Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
AはBです
1. A is/are B
A is a noun, and B is a noun or adjective.

I am a student.
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Karlla
Level: 892
AはBです
A is/are B A is a noun, and B is a noun or adjective.

The "or adjective" part is misleading. The construction instructions only show nouns, but still about 50% of the user sentences are using i-/na-adjectives which are in a different group.

2 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261

I added the な/い adjective usage patterns, thank you!

2 years ago
Report Content
Karlla
Level: 892

But adjectives are already covered under "Adjectives" (wanted to post the link, but that didn't work kao_don.png), I thought this is a separate grammar point. kao_think.png

2 years ago
Report Content
マイコー

It is separate, but I don't think that it's losing anything by having a bit of overlap for those that don't see the other page :)

2 years ago
Report Content

In the “not” example sentence, the です is dropped but I hear it in the audio. Is it common to drop the です ?

28 days ago
Report Content

You’re right. There are in fact two such sentences.

It is very common to drop です or replace it with a different sentence ending particle in casual conversation. This probably isn’t the best place to demonstrate that though.

28 days ago
Report Content
マイコー

It was in the system as じゃないです, but there was a small issue with the visuals on those two sentences. It's been fixed, thanks!

24 days ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana