Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - English treated as romaji in dictionary lookup

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

64fb72346c0b8eeb796570191a845005df6961ce2872aecb.jpg

If I click on one of the English words used to define a kanji character (usually by accident), renshuu tries to look that word up in the dictionary. This used to work, but today it converted the word to romaji first, breaking up the result into nonsense. Is there a hidden setting that controls this behavior? I know that automatic conversion is useful for beginners, but I don’t want to use romaji input ever.

Edit: this apparently only happens for words not in the dictionary. I’d still like the option to disable romaji input, though.

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256

There is no available setting. It will, of course, search for it in English first, but if a)there are no results for the English (which is primary), it does try to read it as romaji and see what it can do with it.

There is probably a level at which it can "grade" the results and say "this probably isn't what they want", but that's a not-so-simple thing to fix. As long as there is at least one English result, though, you'll never reach this page.

1 year ago
Report Content

That’s fair. Confusing for new users, probably, but not an issue for me anymore, now that I understand what’s happening.

1 year ago
Report Content
gdartfow
Level: 1463

Out of curiousity, why isn't unalloyed found?

There is a dictionary entry for it (uncommon though it may be):

63f2e3db6cdc093924615a3211586816d75a2a3913be8204.png
1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256

Weird, the search index doesn't have the full definition for that term. Will fix it

And yes, it could be explained a bit better in that situation!

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana