Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Ways to discuss plural objects???

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

From my understanding, you use "たち()" for plural living things, but I haven't had much luck trying to find out how to say plural objects. I feel like "tachi" isnt quite right sounding as someone who knows a decent bit of japanese (I can't really speak it, but i can read, write, and understand it). Does anyone know if there's something for objects especially? Unless it's tachi or gata?

1 year ago
Report Content
Anonymous123
Level: 1200

My understanding (which may be incorrect) is that pluralizing non-living objects is not really a thing in Japanese, and even with living things it is often not done either. Whether one is saying "book" or "books" is based on the context, and at times it is ambiguous, but that is just an accepted normal thing. If one wants to really clarify things they can use noun counters.

For giving contextual clues, if one says "a few", "a lot of" , etc. in front of the noun, then it implies that the noun is plural.

Again, even with living things it seems to be pretty normal to not use "tachi" or "ra" even though one might be talking about a plural number of living things. And you would only "tachi" on a non-living object to suggest that it is somehow animate i.e. acts like a living thing.

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

たち・がた are not talking about plural in the sense that we think of it - they are referring to the actions of a group of people. So, if you are, for example, talking about the group of students waiting in the classroom, you could say たち. So they are used to emphasize the actions of the group as a group, if that makes sense.

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana