Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - Not all fonts comply with JIS 2004

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

Drewbadour
Level: 793

Hi! I noticed recently that all of these kanji are actually supposed to use two dots (⻍) instead of one dot (⻌): "辿"

I went down a bit of a rabbit hole and realized that this specification appears to have changed as part of the JIS 2004 standard. It looks like fonts that comply with the JIS 90 standard show these with one dot, but those complying with JIS 2004 show two. From my tests, it looks like the only fonts that comply are "Serif style," "Hiragino," and "Yu." Obviously fonts like "Pixel" won't comply, but this seems like it might be misleading to show these kanji with a single dot that officially have two. I believe some of the named fonts that do work actually mention JIS 2004 in their names. Fonts with an "N" suffix should also comply, like "Hiragino Mincho ProN" vs "Hiragino Mincho Pro" for example.

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261

That is indeed a rabbit hole! That being said, I am at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed, though. Although I am on vacation at the moment, I suppose that considering a revision of the fonts that we license from typesquare (where the majority of the fonts come from, including the textbook font) - they do have those that conform to the JIS 2004 standard (following the same naming rules that you mention), but I do not know off the top of my head how extensive those are.

I believe I'll be able to look at this a bit more closely in the back half of June or July!

1 year ago
Report Content
Drewbadour
Level: 793

Enjoy your vacation! I don't know that many people will be as neurotic as I am about the stroke difference, but a simple fix might be some sort of asterisk or note on some of the fonts in the "Visuals" panel that mentions that certain Kanji may be simplified for legibility and not 100% accurate to their written forms.

I'll throw a fun little bonus reading in Kanji variations for legibility in here, even though it's unrelated to this report. kao_heart.pnghttps://ken-lunde.medium.com/o...

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

I did a quiiick look at Typesquare's offerings, and at least for the current textbook font, there is a 2004 version available. Will look through the other varieties at a later point :)

PS: got a few ios specific fixes (trying to override a very strange bug that I've reported to the webkit team) coming soon!

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

The next update to the system will have an replacement font for the textbook one that utilizes jis 2004. As to the others, None of the them seem to have jis 2004 versions, so it'll take more time to find similar enough ones to replace them with so users who have used them for some time do not get a jolt when new fonts are swapped in.

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > renshuu.org > Bugs / Problems > Resolved Bugs

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana