Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - The use of quotes in Japanese news articles

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Japan, にほん, 日本

Anonymous123
Level: 1198

When reading articles in NHK News Web Easy I've noticed on several occasions that when the people are quoted as saying something in the articles, it isn't what they actually said (in the attached video the interviewee says something different), but instead it is a paraphrased version of what they said. Generally, when I see a quotation attributed to someone in an article in a western publication, I expect that they said those exact words. Not sure if this is a cultural difference or something else.

Is this a standard practice in the Japanese press ? Is it perhaps just an artifact of NHK News Web Easy trying to simplify the language ?

1 year ago
Report Content
stupidguy
Level: 182

Hey, just letting you know that the video link didn't get attached (maybe I misunderstood and you never intended a link).

1 year ago
Report Content
stupidguy

It looks like the keywords for searching this will be {media,press,news} {direct,semi-direct,indirect} {quote,quotation}

This page claims that

> While news media in some countries prefer indirect quotation, Japanese media favor direct quotes (Matsushita, 2019).

---

I haven't consumed enough news to know this for sure.

1 year ago
Report Content
stupidguy

From this page:

> However, this standard proves flexible when translation is involved, leading to unique findings such as textual manipulations (e.g. omissions, additions, substitutions, etc.) at levels rarely seen in monolingual quoting (ibid.).

1 year ago
Report Content
stupidguy

I haven't progressed to rhetorical statements/questions yet, but maybe you know enough to know what this means with reference to politicians

From this page:

> From a socio-pragma-linguistic perspective, the fact that Japanese political figures use quotations as rhetorical devices in media-mediated discourse is an interesting and important finding

1 year ago
Report Content
Anonymous123
Level: 1198

Hey, just letting you know that the video link didn't get attached (maybe I misunderstood and you never intended a link).

Sorry for not being clear. I didn't intend on attaching a video. I was instead referring to a video that was attached to the article that I had read. That is the article quoted someone, and the same article had a video of the person being interviewed. That is how I became aware that what the person said was not exactly what the article contained within its quotations.

Also, thanks for your research on the topic.

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 会話 / General discussion > Japan, にほん, 日本

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana