Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - changing historical katakana and hiragana to more common

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Lagz
Level: 126

Hello, a while ago, I was doing quizzes and one of the words (I can't remember which exactly) came across with a sentence with furigana reading that was really unusual. If you put this "" (sweden) in the dictionary, you are greeted with スヰーデン "ヰ" for sound wi. I searched in the Wikipedia and it says that it "is a nearly-obsolete Japanese kana". So I was wondering, if there are more words like that (and Wikipedia sure gave me some examples like whiskey), even with different kana such as ゑヱ、or even ヸ、would it be possible to have option to forcefully change to a more common one?

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

While it does have that rare version in there, the first result for both and "sweden" does have the more common katakana reading. There are no plans to prune entries out of the original dictionary data that renshuu is based on, and I'd prefer to keep old entries as well (as long as the newer/more common one is also there) for completeness.

1 year ago
Report Content

These are called hentai-gana (Yes, really!) and they have been removed from the language and are only used for historical purposes. I don’t understand why Wikipedia calls them mostly obsolete instead of obsolete.

I would think that any sentence using hentai-gana on renshuu.org should be considered a bug and reported as such, but that’s just my opinion. Let’s see what Michael has to say about it.

Edit: looks like he weighed in before me. Hey, Michael, what do think about tagging those entries in the dictionary so users can filter them out if they want to.

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 262

It depends on what kind of data is already attached to those terms. It's definitely something that I can look into later on, though.

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana