Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - パッチas in "close-fitting trousers”

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Level: 163

Is パッチ actually used to describe close-fitting trousers? I don't even know what those can be called in english (apart from male lingerie ;_;)

It sounds like describing "jeans" to me. I tried to search up some results/images, but the results were unexpected:

Not close-fitting trousers...but baby wear?

1 year ago
Report Content
gdartfow
Level: 1485

パッチ originally came from the Korean 바지. But the English 'patch' (of the software variety) has almost completely overtaken it in usage. And the pictures you found, when narrowing to clothing, feature a patch in the cloth (look around the knee).

I think you can still find it used in Kansai dialect. But everywhere else it's now referred to as or ステテコ. You'll have better luck searching for those to understand the original intent.

1 year ago
Report Content

Oh right, thank you for the explanation!

1 year ago
Report Content

Regarding the English term, I think the fashion term we use where I am at is "leggings". It was mainly seen in exercise clothing, bottoms, yoga pants and such. Nowadays, I can't tell the difference between "stockings" vs "leggings" except the opacity of it (and how many layers are being worn).

1 year ago
Report Content

Here's some entry from the dictionaries:

スーパー:

• パッチ [0]
    • からという〕
      ももひき。[]
  • パッチ [0] 〖patch〗

, :

• パッチ
    (から)ももひきの、くてまであるもの。ではのものをんだ。�()�。もみの―」

:

• パッチ
    から》(ももひき)のではをいい、西ではなくいものをいった。

, , ことわざ,

• パッチ
    • いももひき。()▽pat‐chi
  • 【パッチ】
    • メリヤスのパッチのまでっているは、〔

Which, as gdartflow explained, is of Korean-origin. More interesting is the Edo and Kansai location references to materials and naming.

1 year ago
Report Content
Wolfino
Level: 300

Leggings are comfortable skin tight pants with an elastic waist. A good pair of leggings will have pockets!

Stockings are like really long socks. Sometimes they need a garter belt to not fall down. I think thigh highs count as a kind of stocking?

Tights cover the waist and feet. These go from sheer to opaque. Really sheer tights are called pantyhose. There's also really nice fleece lined tights, 10/10 recommend for winter!

1 year ago
Report Content

There's also slim-fit jeans, but that's the shape fit, not sure regional naming would call jeans as trousers. Trousers are also pants?

Found wiki for Trousers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/... checkout "terminology". And search for "form-firring".

There also "Stirrup Pants" as sportswear, the name points to horse-riding-ish origins https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...

Here's one on categories of Trousers and Shorts.

Some of these terminology-debates on naming (especially cases like US biscuit vs UK Biscuit) seems to spawn many flame wars in various categories of things, living and non-living e.g. wooden stick (as weapons) naming on different length and thickness.

Unless, it is specific to scientific naming, the layman names and terminologies are preferred to be used for the goal of regional communication understanding. So nowadays I'm usually not too hard up about being pedantic (unless you're in the EU regarding trademarked names e.g. champagne, parmigiano reggiano). Here's one on Prawn and Shrimp as food and here's one on the terminology Shrimp vs Prawn, and the Eggplant-Brinjal-Aubergine. Fun stuff, nonetheless.

1 year ago
Report Content

Got it!

1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana