Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums - さあね means Search Me?!!

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Level: 163

Im extremely confused, why does さあね mean "search me"?

shouldn't it be translated as "come on"?

with additional context, it could be translated as "search me", but without it, I'm not sure why it is translated as so.

1 year ago
Report Content
1 year ago
Report Content

Not sure whether this is the same case, but if you look at the sentences lesson packs, some of them are actually a whole story in a paragraph, passage, or an article. When a sentence is taken away from the source and displayed independently as an example, these multi-sentence contextual translations makes much less sense individually.

Unfortunately, it seems to be a limitation that is not so simple to deal with, given the system design. I see a few of these out-of-context sentence translations around a bit. I hesitate to feedback suggestions to fix too, since it is not clear cut on right and wrong under dual use case.
1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261

Yea, it's really a tricky situation anytime you have solo sentences. I often take suggestions on these sentences to include both "natural" and "literal" translations, so you are always free to make suggestions.

Most of them, though, are not coming from renshuu made materials, but form the original sentence pack. We've made thousands upon thousands of changes to improve these sentences, but there are always additional improvements that can (and are) be made.

1 year ago
Report Content

Wow, I never knew, that's where these types of sentences come from...

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 261

I will say that once our grammar markup system is done, it'll be much easier to get higher quality sentences into the search results, so I'm very excited for that.

1 year ago
Report Content
GingerJesus
Level: 6

I think it's because that particular definition was taken from an in context citation. There is the option to search for other definitions in instances such as this.

1 year ago
Report Content
Nanase
Level: 532

'Search me' is a idiom that means 'I'm not sure', 'I don't know' or 'how should I know' depending upon the context in which it is used, in much the same way as 'beats me' does.

E.g.:

(/ロ°)/ "Where's my book?"

"はどこ?"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "Search me"

"さあね"

1 year ago
Report Content

'Search me' is a idiom that means 'I'm not sure', 'I don't know' or 'how should I know' depending upon the context in which it is used, in much the same way as 'beats me' does.

E.g.:

(/ロ°)/ "Where's my book?"

"はどこ?"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "Search me"

"さあね"

Interesting, I found some from weblio.

さあね: https://ejje.weblio.jp/content...

• You can search me!
  • Search me.
  • I don't know.

"Search me": https://ejje.weblio.jp/content...

• にはわからない、るものか

"You can search me!": https://ejje.weblio.jp/content...

As I grew up studying UK english as my first language, and with US english media (movies, serials, sitcoms). I'm totally stumped on this translation.

1 year ago
Report Content

Maybe you could think of it like how we express in english, "i don't know", when we want the other person to give us an answer (like "go ahead give me an answer")

"Student, do you know the answer to this exam question?" "I don't know..." "Well, since you don't have an answer, I'll be the one that gives the answer!" - then the teacher continues to give a long explanation

So, I guess it does mean "go ahead" or "come on" or "i don't know...but you can volunteer to help me know, because it's not like i'm objecting"

1 year ago
Report Content

I am ok with the "I don't know" translation. The "search me" is harder to understand, compared to "beats me".
1 year ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana