Vocabulary dictionary

Kanji dictionary

Grammar dictionary

Sentence lookup

test

Forums -

This topic is tied to the below grammar expression in the grammar library.
もしも~なら
1. If A..
明日 もしも    あった                  
If I have time tomorrow, I intend to study at the cafe.
Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

shirothekiller
Level: 1
isn't the もし/もしも in this pattern optional? もし just emphasizes the grammar point of なら
12 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Level: 256
Agreed, rewrote them as optional.
12 years ago
Report Content
darkje
This form can also use もしも~ても/~でも I think. The problem is that this might be circular reasoning as you already have a point for ても/~でも, which is really close.
12 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
Yea - since ても・でも include 'even', I think they would be least confusing if they remain on their own page.
12 years ago
Report Content
Can somebody help me pls?
hasもしも  the same meaning as もし? or different use?
5 years ago
Report Content
マイコー
I've seen some places say they are the same, while others say that もしも is a bit stronger than もし.
5 years ago
Report Content
hoppu
Level: 316

i dont get the difference between this and https://www.renshuu.org/gramma...(もし~たなら)

on this page the upvoted example uses past tense verb even though its not indicated in the construction description, whereas on the page i linked it says to use past tense verb (there are other construction differences too). can someone explain?

1 year ago
Report Content
gdartfow
Level: 1464

もし~たなら is usually used to describe hypotheticals/counterfactuals (what we would call second and third conditionals in English). For example:

もしっていたなら = If I had known...

もしをしゃべれたなら = If I could speak Japanese...

もしだったなら = If you were in danger...

もしも is used to strengthen もし and can be used regardless of the tense. For example:

もしもがないなら = If you don't have any plans...

もしもにおがあったなら = If I had had enough money...

もしもなら = If possible...

At least, that is the distinction made by Sou Matome.

I agree the example sentences here aren't exactly representative of that.

1 year ago
Report Content
マイコー

I think it's more of an issue that this page and that one don't have enough examples - I'll get some more added soon.

1 year ago
Report Content
チルタリス
Level: 67

What tense should the verbs use in this grammar? The simple example in the grammar card uses present もしもべるなら but then the example sentence 「もしもがあったなら」is past tense despite being in the future. I would have thought it'd be 「もしもがあるなら」?

1 month ago
Report Content
マイコー

This is mentioned a few posts up, but the past tense is usually used (both in English and in Japanese) when talking about a hypothetical that isn't possible/realistic. So あるなら would be more of a "if I have time (and this is a possibility)" vs. あったなら "if I had time (but I don't/won't)."

1 month ago
Report Content
Getting the posts

Top > 日本語を勉強しましょう / Let's study Japanese! > Anything About Japanese > Grammar Library Talk

Loading the list
Lv.

Sorry, there was an error on renshuu! If it's OK, please describe what you were doing. This will help us fix the issue.

Characters to show:

Use your mouse or finger to write characters in the box.
■ Katakana ■ Hiragana